Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A wonderful fall weekend

Hello friends! Fall is upon us - I wore a jacket to school today, the leaves are changing, and I will probably treat myself to a pumpkin spice latte sometime this week. This time of year does not beat Christmas...but it comes close. I love fall.

Last Thursday, David and I went to the They Might Be Giants concert. It was EXTREMELY fun. They are amazing performers, and we really enjoyed ourselves. Their songs are great, but more than that, they are really funny people. I think I enjoyed their comedic timing almost as much as the songs they played. But don't take my word for it! (Do you feel a shameless plug coming on? I do.) You can enjoy their comedic timing for yourself by reading my interview with the band here. This was my very first "real" interview, and it was a really great experience. I talked to the band for over an hour, and got much more material than I was able to post in my Science Cheerleader blog. The best part about the whole thing was that over the course of the hour, I really forgot I was "interviewing" - it felt much more like I was just chatting with people I already knew who just so happened to be music stars. It is reassuring to know that there are some successful musicians out there who remain down-to-earth.

The excitement continued as I made my first visit to CHESS (or Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source) with my new laboratory. The Crane lab uses this facility to obtain data that they use to solve the structures of particular proteins. I am so excited to get started, and had a great time on my field trip. Being in CHESS was like being in a submarine - every inch of every wall is covered with monitors and switches. It was a little overwhelming on my first day, but I am sure I will get the hang of it once I get going with my own experiments. The most exciting part of my tour was that I got a badge that said, "Cornell Postdoctoral fellow / Sarah Hokanson, PhD. I like the sound of that :) And so, I am here at Penn today running HPLCs and working on the drafts of my manuscripts so that I can graduate and become Sarah Hokanson, PhD.

Our Saturday and Sunday was full of fun, but also full of housework. I moved all of my kitchen stuff up to the apartment, so we moved some bookshelves around and got the pantry/kitchen organized again. It looks great - I love it. I will post some pictures of it, along with the rest of the apartment, once I am completely settled. We did find time to see two movies currently out in theaters - The Invention of Lying and Zombieland. (Both were good.) We also went to Sunday brunch at Simply Red (delicious!) and went hiking afterwards at Buttermilk Falls, and then came home to cheer on the Dolphins and the Steelers as they both won their games.

I would like to write this short note to the Steelers to close this blog entry: Dear Pittsburgh Steelers, I would just like to remind you that football games are always 60 minutes long. You cannot play 3 quarters incredibly well and expect to automatically win games. Please do better next week. Your faithful fan, Sarah

No comments: